Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Overwhelmed

Yes, I know it has been a while since I blogged. Every time I think about blogging I am always afraid I won't have anything to say. But whatever, I'm throwing that aside...for now.

Today at work one of Gus' teachers came to tell me that he felt warm and had a low-grade fever. This was not entirely surprising because he tugged on his ears a bit and didn't sleep well last night. The thing about my child is that he hardly ever stops playing! He's not one to lay around even when his last ear infection cause the doctor to say "whoa!" when he looked in his ears. When I went in his classroom he was, of course, going up and down his favorite climber toy. I looked at him and I instantly knew he didn't feel well. One of his ears was bright red and he just had that look like "uhhh, am I awake or asleep?". We went to the doc and she diagnosed him with an ear infection. Again. This is his third one in two months. He's gotten these since he started school full-time in Feb. Not totally uncommon, I just don't like seeing him sick. On my way out I scheduled a follow up for next week to see if his ears are getting better. I tried filling his script at the new pharmacy in town and it was super fast and the pharmacist was very friendly. Thank you Aunt Claudi for the recommendation.

When we got home we ate a snack and played. Then I got a call saying that a child in Gus' class has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Great. This illness is highly contagious so I was surprised that he didn't have any sores. Well, then I looked inside his mouth. Bingo. Not only does my sweet boy have a double ear infection but he also has HFMD. I touched his tongue to make sure the spots were raised and he cried for about five minutes so I know that they are hurting him. He then climbed up on my lap and laid his head on my shoulder for about thirty minutes before falling asleep. Now I know he REALLY doesn't feel well. I must confess that I like the cuddly part of Gus being sick. I would still rather him feel well though.

So, I guess this means I (or a combination of Josh, my mom and me) won't be at work for the next few days.

Dear Gus,
I love you so much! I hate when you feel bad but I'm glad that we have access for good care for you. When I think of children who don't have the same access I feel sad. When I think of their parents I feel sad too. I am so thankful for you and I will snuggle you as much as you need. Rest well tonight and I will see you in the morning.
Love, Momma

1 comment:

Erin said...

OK so your letter to Gus made me tear up! Jessi, you are a wonderful momma and Josh is a great dad. I'm glad that God made you Gus' parents. And I'm with you on the cuddle factor. I am soaking up ever cuddly moment I have with Grady. I am sure that it won't last forever.

Erin